Houston, TX dentist shares the benefits of Lumineers
Does it seem like everywhere you look, people around you have flawless smile? The reason it may seem like that is because cosmetic dentistry is more accessible than ever. At Vivid Dental, we offer patients many different options when it comes to giving their smile that “wow” factor. One of the most popular and effective cosmetic treatments we offer is Lumineers. In the following article, we’ll explain what Lumineers are, the benefits of Lumineers and how you can get started on your smile transformation with Vivid Dental in Houston, TX.
Lumineers are like porcelain veneers in that they are ultra-thin shells of porcelain that are bonded to the front of your natural teeth to hide cosmetic imperfections and improve the appearance of the smile. They are a versatile option for patients who want to address common cosmetic flaws including:
- Permanent discoloration that does not respond to professional whitening treatment.
- Slight to moderate misalignment
- Small gaps between teeth
- Minor cracks and chips
- Teeth that are differing in size or shape
At Vivid Dental, we provide patients with Lumineers that are custom-fabricated to ensure a comfortable fit and natural-looking results.
The difference between Lumineers and traditional porcelain veneers
There are a few key differences that separate Lumineers and traditional porcelain veneers, the biggest one being their size. Traditional veneers are made from thicker shells of porcelain. For them to fit naturally and comfortably on the front of your teeth, more of your natural tooth enamel will need to be removed. The preparation process is often done with shots of local anesthesia to minimize discomfort and temporary veneers often need to be placed while you wait for your permanent set.
While Lumineers are also made up of porcelain, they are thinner than veneers so that little preparation needs to be done to the teeth prior to placement. Even with their thinner profile, porcelain Lumineers are still strong enough to withstand the natural forces of biting or chewing.
Benefits of Lumineers
We’ve already mentioned how Lumineers are thinner than traditional veneers for a natural-looking and natural-feeling finish, but there are other benefits to Lumineers.
- Stain Resistant – Porcelain does not stain, which means that you can continue to enjoy your favorite richly colored foods and beverages such as coffee, tea, red wine, and red pasta sauce.
- Easy to care for – Lumineers do not require any special care, simply brush and floss your teeth as you normally would. Still, the teeth behind the veneers will remain susceptible to tooth decay so it’s important to brush and floss diligently.
- Customizable – Lumineers will be custom fabricated to the exact shade, size, and shape that you desire in your smile.
- Reversible – While we think you’ll love your Lumineers, if you decide that you are unhappy with them some day in the future, your dentist can remove them.
The process for Lumineers
Lumineers are placed in two straightforward visits.
- During the first visit, we will discuss your concerns that you would like to see addressed with Lumineers. Impressions are taken of the teeth and sent to a special Lumineers laboratory along with digital images of your smile and face so that they can be custom created for you. There is no need for local anesthetic or temporaries during this visit.
- During the second visit, you will return to the office to have your final Lumineers placed. First, the dentist will make sure that they look and fit perfectly. Once you and the dentist are happy with the Lumineers, the teeth are slightly etched so that the Lumineers can be bonded and adhere properly to your natural teeth.
Lumineers can be expected to last for up to 20 years with good oral hygiene. While there are no off-limit foods with Lumineers, it is important to avoid using your teeth for biting on non-food objects such as pens or using your teeth to open packages.
Call Vivid Dental in Houston, TX today to schedule your Lumineers consultation
We are passionate about helping our patients enjoy healthy, beautiful smiles. If you are in the Houston, TX area and would like to learn more about the benefits of Lumineers and find out if they are right for you, book your appointment today by calling (281) 809 4902.