Dental team in Houston provides tips for parents and kids to help them maintain excellent oral hygiene
Children often learn by observing the habits of their parents. Therefore, it is important children see their parents brushing and flossing. These two habits coupled with dental visits can help prevent oral health conditions and diseases and protect young smiles. Parents turn to the team at Vivid Dental in Houston for tips on teaching good oral hygiene habits to kids.
Watch what children eat and drink
Letting kids sip on sugary drinks for several hours can expose teeth to sugar and increase the risk of tooth decay. Therefore, parents should encourage their children to enjoy a balanced diet. It is important to choose healthy snacks that are high in whole grains and protein such as pita bread and yogurt. Limiting the children’s intake of sugars can also protect their oral health.
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry also recommends the following tips:
- Children should finish sugary drinks and foods immediately.
- Sippy cups should be filled with water only. However, if children have other beverages, they should be served in cans or glasses. Consumption time should be limited.
- Do not let children go to sleep with bottles, even with milk. This can lead to tooth decay.
- Limiting sweets and the time it takes for children to consume them is critical. After having sweets, children should brush their teeth.
- Children should brush their teeth after meals and snacks. Daily flossing can reduce the risk of cavities.
Schedule dental check-ups
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that children have their first dental examinations by age one. We encourage parents to highlight the appointment before arriving to our office. They can mention the dentist will be “counting” the teeth and possibly “taking photographs” of the mouth. We can also provide nitrous oxide to ease the nerves of children who are anxious about dental treatment. The sedative, known as “laughing gas,” helps them relax and the effect wears off quickly after the procedure.
We understand you want the best for your children. We provide excellent care at Vivid Dental. To learn more about our services, call our friendly team at (281) 809 4902 today.