Six things Houston, TX, residents should know about Six Month Smiles
Brace yourself: It is now possible to straighten the most visible part of an imperfect smile in less than six months with minimal discomfort and no “tin grin.”
Six Month Smiles, one of the latest advances in orthodontia technology, is available from Dr. Monti Harpalani at Vivid Dental in Houston, TX. It combines the effectiveness of traditional metal bracket and wire braces with the cosmetic appeal of today’s popular clear plastic braces.
A six-month smile is just the ticket for patients 16 and older who want to straighten the teeth that show the most when they smile – their upper and lower front teeth – but who don’t need a complex correction for their bite. The Six Month Smiles system combines clear brackets with tooth-colored, ultra-fine, nickel-titanium wires that apply low-force pressure to move the teeth. The wires and brackets are so inconspicuous that they’re even tough to spot in photos.
Here are six things you should know if you’re considering treatment with Six Month Smiles:
1) Make sure Six Months Smiles is right for you
Six Month Smiles are designed for patients who do not have severely misaligned teeth and who do not need a major alteration to their bite. Seek out a qualified dentist who is specially trained in treatment with Six Month Smiles to determine if the procedure is the best option for you.
2) Treatment with Six Month Smiles is well-suited to basic misalignment and common cosmetic issues
The Sixth Month Smiles system effectively
- eliminates gaps between teeth.
- straightens crowded and overlapping teeth.
- balances asymmetrical smiles in which the “center” line of the front teeth does not seem to follow the line of the lips.
- adjusts a reverse smile line in which the two central upper front teeth are shorter than the teeth on either side of them.
- corrects minor overbites and open bites.
3) Here’s what to expect during treatment
- If you are a good candidate for Six Month Smiles, your dentist will start by making impressions of your teeth that will be used to determine the precise movement needed to straighten your front teeth and guide placement of the brackets and wires.
- Your brackets will be crafted in a lab and come back to your dentist in a clear tray custom-made for your mouth. Each bracket will be precisely positioned in the tray, so it can be bonded directly to the designated spot on each tooth, according to the dentist’s plan for movement of your teeth. The brackets will be secured to the front of your teeth with a special adhesive that is hardened using a high-intensity light. The dentist then attaches the wires to the brackets and adjusts them.
- You will likely need three to seven adjustments of the wires. These appointments take about 15 minutes. You may feel some tightness and soreness afterward. The discomfort is minor compared to that associated with traditional braces and can usually be relieved with over-the-counter painkillers.
4) Treatment time usually lives up to the name
The average length of time for treatment is indeed six months but can vary from just four months to as long as nine months, depending on the desired outcome. (By comparison, treatment with traditional braces often takes two years, while clear plastic aligners must often be worn at least a year.) As with most orthodontic treatments, you will need to wear a retainer after the braces are removed.
5) Six Month Smiles is relatively inexpensive
The cost generally ranges from $3,500 to $5,500 for treatment that includes both the upper and lower front teeth. The average cost for traditional braces is about $5,000 to $6,000 and can go as high as $10,000. Six Month Smiles are also less costly than clear plastic aligners or porcelain veneers. Costs will vary based on where you live and the type of dental insurance you have.
6) It’s a particularly great option for adults
Six Month Smiles are a great makeover alternative for adults who can’t imagine several years in traditional metal braces. Six Month Smiles are discreet; your Instagram followers will have no idea you are wearing braces! Six Month Smiles fit your lifestyle, providing quick results, little discomfort, and a price that won’t break your budget. Wish you’d had that gap between your teeth fixed when you were younger? Want to look your best for an upcoming wedding or reunion? Yearning for the daily self-confidence that comes with flashing a stunning smile? All you need is six months, and the expertise of a dentist like Dr. Monti Harpalani. Call him today at (281) 809 4902.