Houston dentist discusses the benefits of white dental fillings
Silver-colored amalgam fillings have been the standard in the United States for many years. While they were originally chosen for their affordability, strength, and durability, they can contain upwards of 50 percent mercury, which is a harmful toxin. At Vivid Dental, we do not use amalgam fillings and instead opt for composite resin fillings. These white dental fillings will keep your smile healthy and looking flawless.
What are white dental fillings?
Sometimes referred to as tooth-colored fillings, white fillings are made of composite resin. The material is highly durable and can be color-matched to the tooth to blend in seamlessly. White dental fillings are bonded in the cavity. The filling is placed into the tooth in layers and hardened with a light. Once the cavity is filled, the tooth will be shaped and polished to restore original dimensions.
The benefits of composite resin:
One of the most obvious benefits of white dental fillings is that they are natural looking and no one will be able to notice them. Other benefits include:
- Conservative – Because composite resin fillings are bonded to the teeth, there is less removal of healthy tooth structure and a much smaller risk of future breakage.
- Durable – With good oral hygiene, composite resin can last many years without breaking or wearing down.
- Comfortable – Unlike amalgam, composite resin does not respond to temperature changes, which decreases sensitivity.
- Safe – There is no mercury or harmful materials in composite resin.
- Affordable – Most insurances plans cover a portion of the cost of composite resin fillings, making them affordable.
At Vivid Dental, our mission is to provide safe, beautiful restorations that will restore health, functionality, and beauty to your smile. If you are in the Houston area, call us today at 281-809-4902 to schedule an appointment. We always welcome new patients into our family.