Tooth extraction is intimidating for many people, but it doesn’t have to be. Your Houston, Texas dentist will only extract a tooth if it’s absolutely necessary to protect your oral health. We offer safe, painless tooth extraction services performed under local or general anesthesia at Vivid Dental. Afterward, we’ll provide full aftercare instructions to make your recovery as comfortable and pain-free as possible. The following tips can help manage pain after tooth extraction and expedite recovery.
Tips for Successful Tooth Extraction Recovery
Full recovery from a tooth extraction may take one to two weeks, depending on the circumstances of your extraction. Dr. Monti Harpalani will monitor your recovery to ensure no complications from your treatment.
The following tips can help you have a smooth, successful recovery.
- Rest as much as possible. Avoid unnecessary activities, especially bending and lifting, as these actions can prompt bleeding at the extraction site
- Elevate your head on a pillow to reduce swelling and bleeding at the extraction site
- Apply a cold compress to your face to reduce swelling, pain, and discomfort
- Take OTC pain medications to minimize painful symptoms after your extraction
- Maintain a soft diet during recovery to avoid irritating tissues at the extraction site. Soups, mashed potatoes, yogurt, oatmeal, smoothies, and scrambled eggs are nutritious options
- Avoid smoking or using a straw for drinking during recovery, as these actions can displace the blood clot formed in the empty socket. Dislodging the blood clot puts you at risk of dry socket, a painful condition that can arise after a tooth extraction
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water to cleanse the extraction site. Maintain your regular dental routine for the rest of your mouth, being careful not to irritate the socket. Avoid alcohol-based mouthwash during recovery
Call our office for more information
Generally, dental extractions are fairly simple, routine procedures that can help restore your oral health.
By doing your part to care for your mouth after an extraction, you can look forward to a quick, easy recovery. To schedule tooth extraction services at our Houston, TX, clinic, contact Vivid Dental at 281-809-4902.