Patients can find the dental services they need in Houston when an emergency arises
It is always important to be prepared. We prepare for job interviews, athletic tryouts, and tests. When a dental emergency arises, are you prepared? If you are not, there is no reason to worry. The team at Vivid Dental in Houston provides various dental services including preventive care. If an emergency arises, we want you to feel as prepared as possible, which can ease nerves and provide peace of mind if one occurs.
We will provide tips on how to respond to the following dental emergencies:
- Toothaches – These are the most common dental emergencies. Place an ice pack on the cheek if the mouth is swollen. Use only aspirin-free painkillers.
- Lost dental filling – Until we can see you, stick a piece of sugarless gum or an over the counter dental cement into the cavity.
- Dental crown falls off – To relieve pain, apply clove oil to a cotton swab and place it on the affected area. Then, apply a denture adhesive onto the inner surface of the crown. If possible, gently slip the crown onto the tooth.
- Soft tissue injuries – If you suffer a blow to the face, you can injure your lips, cheeks, or mouth. Rinse your mouth with mild salt water if you are bleeding. Hold an ice pack on the outside of the mouth to relieve pain for 5 to 10 minutes. Apply pressure with moistened gauze to the affected area for 15 to 20 minutes to slow bleeding.
- Knocked out tooth – The chances of saving the tooth are highest within the first hour of injury, so we recommend calling us immediately. Handle only by the top, do not remove any tissue fragments, and rinse the tooth gently with water. Then, place the tooth in a container of milk and bring it to your appointment.
- Chipped tooth – Save the pieces and rinse them. Apply gauze to the affected tooth for about 10 minutes if there is bleeding. Place an ice pack on the outside of the mouth to reduce swelling.
The team at Vivid Dental is committed to seeing patients the same day of their dental emergencies. Keep our number with you at all times – (281) 809 4902. If you experience a life-threatening situation, visit the nearest hospital emergency room immediately.
Back to Emergencies Home Page