There are times when a patient might require tooth extraction. Tooth extraction is the permanent removal of a natural tooth in the smile. Dr. Monti Harpalani and his team at Vivid Dental Family and Cosmetic Dentistry understand the importance of removing teeth when it’s necessary to maintain the oral health of an individual. Houston, TX patients who are preparing for tooth extraction may have questions for their dentist prior to undergoing treatment.
What can I expect from a tooth extraction?
The process of extracting a tooth starts with a consultation to determine if extraction is necessary. Tooth extraction might be needed if:
- A patient has an impacted tooth, such as a wisdom tooth or permanent tooth
- A patient has a tooth with failed endodontic treatment
- A patient has a tooth with more damage or trauma than can be treated with fillings, crowns, and other restorations
- A patient has remaining teeth in the smile but is interested in full cosmetic dentures
- A patient has baby teeth that have not released to allow space for permanent teeth
- A patient has an abscess or other condition that renders the tooth unrepairable
- A patient is preparing for orthodontic treatment, typically when overcrowding is a concern
The process of tooth removal depends on the type of extraction. Extraction may be either simple or surgical.
- Simple – a simple extraction is done right in the office with anesthetics and sedation if needed. It is performed when a tooth is accessible above the gumline. The dentist removes the tooth quickly from the socket using special instruments.
- Surgical – surgical extraction requires the dentist to cut into the soft tissues to retrieve a tooth that has not yet erupted through the gumline. This requires more invasive treatment and the healing and recovery period is longer.
Call our office for more information
Are you in need of an extraction?
Whether you have a severely decayed tooth or need to address an impacted wisdom tooth, our team at Vivid Dental Family and Cosmetic Dentistry can help. Call Dr. Monti Harpalani’s team at 281-809-4902 and request a consultation at 11560 FM 1960 West, Suite #200. Our team is here to help new and current patients of our practice in the Houston, TX community and beyond!
Share this Article: